Saturday, December 6

My Host Family and School

My host family are incredibly nice. We have conversations in a mixture of English and French. I have alot of trouble understanding my host siblings but Gael has realised that sometimes I understand if he speaks slower. The other day I watched Ice Age 2 with him in french (which was amusing) and last night me Gael and Ophelie watched Nanny Mcphee but this time they got the subtitles so i got Thomas Sangsters Accent!!! Ahhh c'est tres beau!!!!
My host father is a fan of Croccodile Dundee which is funny and kind of let down by the fact that it's been years since I saw that movie. They even like vegemite!!! How cool/weird is that?

School is incrediably different. From 8-4:3o tuesday, thursday, friday. Monday starts later, Wednesday finish's at 12 and Friday at 3:30. The school's name translates to Immuculate Conception and it is probably older than Adelaide. I'm taking (I had no choice in these) French, English, Economics, History, Geography, Maths, Physics, Biology (great the science I'm not taking is the only one I do) and PE. Everyone else also take Latin and Spanish but since I've never done those subjects and I barely understand french, I'm excused. The school cafeteria is amazing compared to Glenunga but they don't have a morning food break which my stomach isn't ajusting well to.
Lesson structures are very different to Australia and even their paper is different. It's all grid like and in many ways more appropriate than just plain lines. They also have different handwritting so I feel like a noob when I copy peoples notes because I have no idea if I'm even writting down the right word.
On Thursday I did my classes English test. That was funny. I understood the English but not the French and many of the questions were things we would never think of when it comes to english. Like irregular verbs, aren't they all pretty much irregular!!! I really would hate to learn English but on a whole they're more advanced than I am in French. But that's good because for the moment I'm excused from homework because it really is too hard.
The people are really nice and many of them like to use me to improve their English skills. Which I personally have no problem with. who am I to turn down a conversation in English. As for French I just smile and nod and laugh awkwardly when someone makes a joke. But it turns out the people I've been following like basically the same music as me (alot they don't actually know) and like the same movies. The other day they sang Hakuna Matata BUT IN FRENCH!!!!! It was funny, for me anyway.
All in all I've found the best way to get a laugh is tell people how big Glenunga is!!! Oh people's faces!!! (IC is only 375 students).

Well I should being going as dinner will be very soon: Fish with I'll find out, Cheese (always cheese), then dessert.

Mon Dieu!! Amy your 18 tomorrow!!!! and in 2 weeks I'll be in paris (or almost in Paris)

Over and Out
Emma Louise xoxox

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you're having fun Emma! And how gorgeous are the accents? Do you just wander through the streets listening and going "Ah ... a feast for my ears ..." Or then again I guess you might not. I kind of did though. ;) Anyway hope everything keeps going well, and don't get too overwhelmed by school! Trust me, the teachers will love you because you pay more attention than anyone else. Speaking of which, are some of the ways of school really old-fashioned where you are? Like do you have to stand up whenever a teacher comes into the room? I remember thinking that was really weird!

TTFN! Love Matilda xox